Popular Web Development Job titles
The Web Development industry has seen a significant increase in job titles and role which is owning to new technologies and processes. This has happened due to the ever-expanding nature of the internet, which requires more people to help build it.
This change in terminology is not just limited to job titles, but also to what these people do. In the past, web developers have worked on coding websites (i.e., building websites using programming languages), whereas now they are often called frontend developers or full stack developers because they work on code-building as well as designing and marketing products.
Below is a detailed list of the popular job titles in the web development industry with, responsibilities and Job requirements.
- 1 SEO specialists/Experts
- 2 Web Developer/Designer
- 3 Front End Developer/Engineer
- 4 Back End Developer/Engineer
- 5 UI Designer
- 6 UX Designer
- 7 Digital Marketer
- 8 Interaction Designer
- 9 Creative Director
- 10 Full Stack Developer
- 11 Content Strategist
- 12 Web Server Architect/Engineer
- 13 Dev Ops
- 14 Product Manager
- 15 Graphic artist
An SEO specialist is someone who is skilled in Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
The SEO Specialist is responsible for optimizing a website’s search engine ranking. They will be working with the design and development teams to create content that will best rank on search engines.
- Optimize website content for search engines
- Create targeted keyword strategies for the target keywords in each page of the website
- Develop site maps and navigation for the website
- Manage site performance through analysis of keyword metrics, webmaster tools, and A/B testing
- Track and report on performance metrics such as impressions, clicks, conversions, and cost per click (CPC)
- Work with webmasters to fix issues with errors or broken links on a website’s site map or page content
- Keep up to date on new SEO trends and practices through research, reading, and attending conferences and workshops
- Minimum of N years experience as a SEO Specialist or Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Specialist
The Web Developer is responsible for building and maintaining the website, as well as providing support for the website and company.
- Develop and maintain website, with a focus on design and performance
- Provide support for customers and other departments
- Build, integrate, and maintain tools such as web applications, APIs, and other external integrations
- Create new features or enhancements that improve customer experience or increase revenue
- Participate in the marketing department to help create promotional content for the website
- Prepare weekly site reports with analytics and user data
- Perform routine maintenance on servers, databases, and software
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a web development role
- Ability to use HTML5/CSS3
- Experience in one of the following programming languages: Python, Ruby/Rails, PHP/Laravel
Front End Developer/Engineer
The front-end developer/engineer is responsible for developing end-user interfaces for the company’s web product. This includes working closely with the product manager to define and prioritize features, as well as handling the day-to-day development work to deliver those features. They are also responsible for executing designs, writing code, and developing test plans.
- Develop responsive designs that accommodate multiple screen sizes
- Develop test plans and execute them to ensure quality of the final product
- Work with designers to create mockups and wireframes
- Minimum of N years experience as a Front End Engineer or Front End Developer – Bachelor’s degree (MBA preferred)
Back End Developer/Engineer
The Backend Developer/Engineer is responsible for building the back-end of the product. This includes designing, developing, and delivering features and building out the infrastructure for the product in a timely manner.
- Develop and optimize scalable systems
- Build new features and functionality according to user feedback and requirements
- Deliver technical solutions to problems encountered with current systems
- Collaborate with other teams on implementation of new features and functionality
- Manage third party software development as needed
- Develop code in accordance to company standards
- Maintain existing systems to ensure high performance levels
- Maintain documentation for each system in a timely manner
- Manage project timelines and deliverables to meet expectations
- Perform peer code reviews on a regular basis
The UI Designer is a member of the product team and is responsible for designing all user interfaces and user flows for the app and website.
- Work with product management to design wireframes and build prototypes
- Create mockups, comps, or other deliverables for approval in a timely manner
- Collaborate with developers to transform wireframes into code
- Work with developers on design implementation and QA feedback
- Manage a project timeline from start to finish
- Establish UX guidelines for the app or website
- Prepare presentations in an engaging manner for stakeholders
- Support marketing by creating marketing collateral for events and launches
- Manage project timelines from start to finish
The UX Designer is a key member of the product team and is responsible for designing the user experience (UX) for new or existing products. This includes working closely with design, engineering, and marketing to create a user-friendly and scalable experience. It also includes understanding the business needs, creating wireframes, and developing mockups to be reviewed by the team.
- Define UX strategy for new or existing products
- Develop wireframes and mockups in collaboration with design teams
- Work closely with engineering teams to ensure that designs are technically sound
- Manage project timelines and deliverables while meeting deadlines
- Create personas, user research, and competitive analysis to understand users needs
- Ensure that final designs meet branding guidelines
- Collaborate with marketing to develop visual assets associated with product features
- Understand market trends and analyze competition in order to develop insights into user behaviors
- Develop specifications for prototypes and digital assets as needed
The Digital Marketer is responsible for the planning and execution of marketing campaigns, including planning and executing digital initiatives, crafting digital marketing strategies and tactics, and managing the budget. The Digital Marketer will also be responsible for managing the brand voice and developing a cohesive strategy to drive performance.
- Create compelling content that drives awareness and engagement within the target audience
- Create, manage, and execute marketing campaigns across channels
- Develop a cohesive strategy to drive performance across all channels
- Develop engaging content to drive traffic to website or landing page
- Work with finance team to develop budgets
- Work closely with engineering team to ensure that product experience aligns with marketing goals
- Work closely with sales team to ensure that product is marketed accordingly
- Act as a leader within the company
- Conduct research on competitors in order to stay ahead of them
The Interaction Designer is responsible for the design of the user interface of software applications, websites, and other digital products. This includes creating wireframes, mockups, prototypes, and visual design. The Interaction Designer creates a visual language that is consistent and intuitive in order to make software easy to use.
- Design a clear, consistent visual language for digital products
- Create UI prototypes and wireframes using both hand-drawn sketches and appropriate software tools
- Design interactive experiences that are engaging, intuitive, and easy to use
- Collaborate with developers to create clear paths of interaction for users
- Create design ideas that support the goals of the project
- Work with developers to create user flows that are appropriate for the product’s technology
- Work with developers to create wireframes in order to define screens in the application or website
- Manage a backlog of projects and work on multiple projects simultaneously while increasing your productivity at the same time.
The Creative Director is the head of the creative team, and is responsible for directing and developing all creative work. This includes assessing market opportunities, creating strategic concepts, delivering creative briefs, managing project timelines, and working closely with clients to deliver winning campaigns. The Creative Director will also be an expert in visual design principles and will have strong understanding of web design principles.
- Develop creative strategy for marketing initiatives
- Develop compelling ideas for advertising campaigns
- Analyze market data to determine target audience preferences
- Work closely with marketing team members to develop and execute on creative briefs
- Create design assets that meet a client’s needs
- Communicate with the client on a regular basis to ensure objectives are met
- Deliver creative briefs that influence the direction of projects
- Manage project timelines according to deadlines set by clients
- Provide regular updates at weekly or monthly meetings
- Develop a strong working relationship with clients that lead to
Full Stack Developer
This is a challenging, rewarding position for a skilled Full Stack Developer. As a Full Stack Developer, you will have the opportunity to work on both front-end and back-end applications. In this role, you will be responsible for delivering high quality code in a fast-paced environment.
- Design and build new features from the ground up with an eye towards performance, scalability, and maintainability
- Work closely with UX designers to define wireframes and prototypes
- Research and implement best practices in software development, such as test automation
- Develop reusable components libraries for future use
- Participate in code reviews to ensure quality of code
- Contribute to company culture through mentorship and technical discussions
- At least 4 years experience as a Full Stack Developer or equivalent experience
- Experience building web applications using HTML5/Node.js/React/Angular/Bootstrap/Git
The Content Strategist is responsible for turning content into a marketing tool that drives growth and profits. They drive the strategy, vision, and execution of all content marketing activities, including keyword research, audience profiling, content creation, social media management and optimization.
- Develops an effective content marketing strategy
- Creates compelling content that attracts and engages audiences
- Seeks out new opportunities to use content marketing as a lead generation tool
- Monitors competitors’ digital presence for opportunities to apply new techniques and tactics
- Develops strategies for increasing traffic to websites through search engine optimization (SEO)
- Tracks performance of social media channels to identify trends and opportunities for optimization – Develops social media guidelines for the company’s brand or department
- Minimum of 5 years experience in digital marketing or related field – Bachelor’s degree or relevant industry experience required
Web Server Architect/Engineer
– Developing and implementing the web server architecture for the company
- Developing and delivering top notch web applications using PHP, MySQL, Apache, and other related technologies
- Developing and implementing mobile and desktop applications using Objective-C, Java, or other related technologies
- Participating in the design of scalable systems with a focus on scalability, performance, and security
- Providing support to development teams on all levels
- Minimum of 10 years experience as a Web Server Architect/Engineer in a similar role
- Demonstrated leadership ability with an ability to influence cross functional teams
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
The DevOps team is responsible for the overall management of software development and operations and infrastructure. They are responsible for the development, deployment, monitoring, and optimization of our software products.
- Provide a cross-functional view of the entire software lifecycle
- Collaborate with product management to ensure that products are delivered at our desired velocity
- Coordinate with QA to ensure that all quality assurance requirements are met
- Provide feedback on new features before they are released into production
- Deploy new features to production in a timely manner without impacting customer experience/quality
The Product Manager is responsible for both product planning and product marketing. This includes managing the product throughout the Product Lifecycle, gathering and prioritizing product and customer requirements, defining the product vision, and working closely with engineering, to deliver winning products. It also includes working with sales, marketing, and support to ensure revenue and customer satisfaction goals are met.
- Define the product strategy and roadmap
- Deliver MRDs and PRDs with prioritized features and corresponding justification
- Work with external third parties to assess partnerships and licensing opportunities
- Be an expert with respect to the competition
- Develop the core positioning and messaging for the product
- Set pricing to meet revenue and profitability goals
- Deliver a monthly revenue forecast
- Develop sales tools and collateral
- Brief and train the sales force at quarterly sales meetings
- Brief press and analysts and go on press tours – Act as a leader within the company
A Graphic Artist is responsible for the design and production of all printed materials, including brochures, manuals, newsletters, packaging, signage, and more. They also create logos and graphics for websites.
- Create layouts and designs using Adobe Creative Suite software
- Develop/create marketing collateral for a wide variety of clients
- Manage timelines and budgets to ensure deadlines are met
- Ensure project success through quality control checks
- Analyze data from various channels to determine what materials are needed most to create a complete game